Investopedia defines social media marketing (SMM) as using social media and social networks to promote brands, businesses, products, and services. A digital marketing speaker Hong Kong highlights that social media allows brands and businesses to connect with their target audiences. They create data analytics for better ad targeting. A social media agency Hong Kong notes that social media marketing is very effective because it appeals to the users’ culture, mission, or tone. While a video marketing agency Hong Kong mentions that these sites have significantly changed consumer behaviors.
Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, and Twitter are the top 6 most popular social media networks based on their number of monthly active users (MAU). Below, we have compiled essential social media statistics every marketer should know in 2022. The following stats can spark some new ideas to help brands and businesses create a strong social media presence and strategy this year.
- Facebook is the world’s 3rd most visited website, next to Google and YouTube. It is visited by an average of 1.79 billion users daily. That’s a total of 11.2 billion visits every year.
- Facebook is also the 2nd most searched keyword in Google. That makes it the most popular social media network in the world.
- Around 98.3% of Facebook users access their accounts using a mobile device.
- Facebook Stories have 500 million daily viewers. While video ads are the best performing Facebook ad format.
Chad Hurley, Jawed Karim, and Steve Chen created YouTube in 2005. After a year, it was acquired by Google. Today, YouTube has brown has grown into 2.3 billion MAU, making it the largest global video-sharing platform.
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world, next to its parent company, Google.
- People watched more than 1 billion hours of YouTube videos every day. These made YouTube account for 25% of the total mobile traffic worldwide.
- According to HubSpot, 44% of marketers plan to leverage YouTube in their 2022 digital marketing strategies.
- Instagram ranks as the 4th most active social media platform in the whole world.
- More than 90% of Instagrammers followed a business profile. 83% discover new products and services on the platform.
- Instagram Stories with a call to action is the best performing ads. While 73% of Instagram marketers favored influencer marketing.
- Instagram Live has become increasingly popular nowadays, with 100 million Instagrammers launching a live broadcast daily.
Launched in 2016 by the Chinese startup, ByteDance, TikTok has stormed the world surpassing a 1 billion active user mark in September 2021. It made the platform the 7th social media network with an exclusive billion-user club.
- TikTok ranks as the 7th most active social media platform in the whole world.
- The United States houses the largest number of TikTok users at around 120.8 million.
- Tiktok only publishes ads to users who are 18 years old and above. But they relatively had a high potential reach at 11%.
Pinterest is a unique social media platform as a visual discovery search engine. It was founded by Ben Silbermann, Evan Sharp, and Paul Sciarra in 2010. With a 10 million MAU, it can help brands and businesses reach target audiences through visual media.
- Pinterest stands as 14th of the world’s most active social media platforms.
- More than 70% of pinners are women.
- The United States houses the largest number of active pinners at around 90.5 million.
- Twitter ranks as the 4th most active social media platform in the whole world.
- It houses 83% of world leaders and 42% of users who have graduated college.
- According to HubSpot, 79% of marketers will continue to invest in Twitter Spaces in 2022.
Social Media Usage Statistics
The first recognized social media site in the world is Six Degrees. It was created in 1997, allowing a user to upload a profile and make friends with other online users. Over the years, social media has grown into a valuable medium for connecting people around the world. Below are recent social media usage statistics:
- There are 4.88 billion social media users globally today. It accounts for more than half or around 62% of the world’s population. That also means that there are around 6 out 10 people on the planet who have at least 1 social media account.
- Two-thirds of the world’s population access social media via mobile devices. They contribute to 5.29 billion unique mobile users.
- Social media users access social media at an average daily usage of 2 hours and 27 minutes. Almost 45% of social media users research brands, products, and services.
- More than 85% of social media marketers rated short-form videos as the most effective social media marketing content.